It's flu season and it's a bad one. I'm downing these berry and green smoothies to keep my immunity up.
It is just one of those morning where nothing really sounds good but I know I need some nutrition to get going with the day. This berry and greens smoothie usually does the trick--loaded with good for you ingredients:
- supergreens or kale (for you, know greens)
- berries (the best antioxidants)
- banana (my favorite fruit and adds a bit of substance)
- almond milk (for a bit of protein)
- vegan protein powder (optional, if you want a more bulky filling smoothie)
I made this today because I am on Day 11 of the Whole 30 and eating more eggs just sounds like the absolute worst. Not to mention, I feel like I might be coming down with a bit of a cold--so I need to get more vitamins immediately. Sawyer and my mom have been sick and I definitely don't want what they had. This nasty flu virus going around has really hit people hard. I have been scarfing down vitamin C and looking for all kind of recipes to keep healthy. After the recipe, check out some other smoothie and juice recipes that I am going to make this week. I am on a mission to stay healthy!
Berry and Kale Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- handful of frozen blueberries or strawberries
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 big handful supergreens -or- 2 leaves of kale ribbed and torn into pieces
- honey or agave nectar if extra sweetness is needed
- vegan protein powder optional
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. If your blender is having a tough time, add a little more water or almond milk. Give it a taste and add a bit of agave nectar if you feel it needs a bit more sweetness.
There are so many great recipes for juices and smoothies out there---no need to spend $21 for a smoothie and a bag of pumpkin seeds, when you can make your own. I'll be experimenting with a few of these this week. I do not want to get sick!
Immune Boosting Citrus Smoothie by Half Baked Harvest
Kale, Spinach and Pear Smoothie by Joy the Baker
The Best Green Smoothie by Pinch of Yum