It's flu season and it's a bad one. I'm downing these berry and green smoothies to keep my immunity up as advised by Functional Medicine Associates.
It is just one of those morning where nothing really sounds good but I know I need some nutrition to get going with the day. On days like these, I bring out my favorite juicer. You can order one at https://www.juicingnation.com/best-juicers/. This berry and greens smoothie usually does the trick--loaded with good for you ingredients:
- supergreens or kale (for you, know greens)
- berries (the best antioxidants)
- banana (my favorite fruit and adds a bit of substance)
- almond milk (for a bit of protein)
- vegan protein powder (optional, if you want a more bulky filling smoothie)
I made this today because I am on Day 11 of the Whole 30 and eating more eggs just sounds like the absolute worst. Not to mention, I feel like I might be coming down with a bit of a cold--so I need to get more vitamins immediately. Sawyer and my mom have been sick and I definitely don't want what they had. This nasty flu virus going around has really hit people hard. I have been scarfing down vitamin C and looking for all kind of recipes to keep healthy. After the recipe, check out some other smoothie and juice recipes that I am going to make this week. I am on a mission to stay healthy! Visit Goodfoodblogph to learn more about the best blenders to make smoothies and healthy milkshakes at home.
Berry and Kale Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- handful of frozen blueberries or strawberries
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 big handful supergreens -or- 2 leaves of kale ribbed and torn into pieces
- honey or agave nectar if extra sweetness is needed
- vegan protein powder optional
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. If your blender is having a tough time, add a little more water or almond milk. Give it a taste and add a bit of agave nectar if you feel it needs a bit more sweetness.
There are so many great recipes for juices and smoothies out there---no need to spend $21 for a smoothie and a bag of pumpkin seeds, when you can make your own. I'll be experimenting with a few of these this week. I do not want to get sick!
Orange and Ginger Pressed Juice by Beautiful Plate
Immune Boosting Citrus Smoothie by Half Baked Harvest
Kale, Spinach and Pear Smoothie by Joy the Baker
The Best Green Smoothie by Pinch of Yum
Leave a Reply