Today was a grumpy, bummed out kind of day.
I'm upset that my sister refuses to talk to me. I have no idea why. I'm upset that Aaron and I can't get along. Our business and our kids need us to get along. I'm kicking myself for not moving to NYC when I was 24 and living like Lena and friends in Girls. Am I going to be too old to live there in ten years? And, I'm bummed that I have to re-start the Whole 30. Stupid bean and cheese burritos.
In general, it was just a bummed out kind of day. BUT.......
I love writing here because it a) reminds me to think about the things I am grateful for and b) its great to look back at the little things in life that make it full and interesting and joyful--even if they seem mundane. Most moments in life are not going to be thrilling. Noticing those little things everyday are so important and I am happy that I have been (mostly) consistent about writing them down.
Here are some things I was particularly grateful about today:
- Today was a regular work from home day. I am so happy that I get to work from home.
- I was really interested in my work today as I was hearing from fishermen about what they are seeing on the water. I love hearing their perspectives and it reminds me of why I like my day job.
- Mary called during lunch to find out what we should do for my birthday. It is so nice that she is making such an effort to celebrate with me. It is very nice.
- Cathy and I had a great chat today. I am getting excited about our Hawaii trip!
- Sawyer and I went to CrossFit and the workout was insanely hard for me. Lots of burpees. Normally, I would try to just push through it but mentally I was just not in it at all. I think my brain made it harder than it needed to be. But, Sawyer did amazing and finished more than a minute before me. And, it is over now and I made it through. Ugh! That was tough.
- Doug was talking about marathon training while at CrossFit and a little piece of me got excited about doing that again. I think I need to have something to train for. I'm going to start to look around for something.
- I made a great dinner for kids (beans and rice) and for me and Aaron (beef and broccoli--PALEO and Whole 30 compliant). Taking steps to get my eating back on the Paleo track.
- I finished Season 6 of Girls. Sad to see that show be over but for some reason it got me excited about this (very cute and very inexpensive) bathing suit.
- A few great sounding candidates have applied to work for our business. In the next few days, I'll be able to get a good sense of what summer staffing will look like. That feels good.
- Traffic for The Surfer's Kitchen has been up all week! People seem to be really loving the grapefruit pound cake and the paleo carrot cake.