My mom had five inches of snow yesterday and it is still snowing.
We, however, had the most beautiful weekend. Clear, sunny, warm (but not too warm) Florida days. The kind of days the Northerners come here for.
The kind made for ice cream.
Aaron got me a ice cream maker for Christmas and I had only used it a couple of times. Up until this weekend, I had been in a soup making mood and hadn’t thought of it at all.
This was so easy, so good–I couldn’t believe it.
Watch out-more ice cream recipes coming! I am on an ice cream making kick.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Recipe by David Lebovitz
3 cups of heavy cream (or 1 cup heavy cream, 2 cups of whole milk)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1) Split the vanilla bean ad scrape out the seeds. Add to cream, sugar, and salt. Thrown the whole vanilla bean in there too. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
2) Add the rest of cream (or milk).
3) Whisk in the vanilla extract.
4) Refrigerate until cool.Remove the vanilla bean.
5) Continue making the ice cream according to your manufacturers instructions.
6) Enjoy with fresh berries or chocolate sauce. Yum!
Weight Watchers Points Plus: If you make the recipe with all cream, you are looking at about 11 points per 1/2 cup serving. If you make the recipe with 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of whole milk, you are looking at 6 points per half cup serving.