I am beginning to realize that I grew up in a different kind of family. I mean, I didn’t even have know what a bagel was until I was in high school. And, my first experience with Thai food wasn’t until college. So, everyone in the world may have been eating fancy cheese straws everyday–while we were eating Dakota breads and lentils.
This post is for those of you that grew up in a world without fancy cheese straws. Go forth and make these puff pastry delights, feed them to your mother, your children–they will think that you are the best cook ever!
1) You will need: puff pastry, 1 egg whipped, and some Parmesan cheese. Heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Layout the puff pastry and cut into one-inch wide strips. Brush the egg onto the strip, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
3) Holding one end of the strip, twist until there are a few nice curls in your strip. Place on baking sheet. Don’t worry too much about the appearance of the twists. They are going to puff up and will look and taste good no matter how well you do on this step. As you can see, mine were deformed.
4) Bake for about 15 minutes.
5) Serve to happy kids with a HUGE salad.