Grapefruit Pound Cake with Grapefruit Glaze Inspired by and Adapted by Bill Bowick (Charleston Sugar Bakeshop) published in Food and Wine, Sept 2010
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated grapefruit zest
- 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- ) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter and flour a bundt cake pan. I used a standard size pan and filled it to the tippy top. As it baked, it grew out of the pan. Next time, I will fill the bundt cake pan less full (about 3/4) and use the remaining batter in baby loaf pans.
- ) Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
- ) Add eggs one at a time--beating well between additions.
- ) Next, alternate adding the flour and cream. So, add a little flour. A little cream. A little flour. A little cream. Until both ingredients are mixed in.
- ) Finally, add the vanilla extract, grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice.
- ) Bake for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then, turn the cake out on the rack and let cool completely.
- Step-by-Step for Glaze:
- ) Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- ) Poke holes into the top of the cake using a skewer and brush the glaze on the top of the cake. (I didn't read this and I just dumped the glaze on the cake. It still tasted great but didn't look as pretty as it would if I had brushed it on.)